Kane's Bookblog

This is a blog of what's on my bookshelf. Everything expressed here is personal, and not affiliated with my employer.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Vulcan's Hammer

by Philip K. Dick
5 of 7 stars *currently reading*

Bill Casebeer recommends PKD, and this is my first foray into the author. I've skimmed his novels before, but never enjoyed the writing style. I can now appreciate the shorter novels, especially after not enjoying lots of deadwood elsewhere. I actually find myself enjoying the slower pace that I am taking, considering each sentence, letting the prose do more than transmit plot data!

Still, the story so far has some rpetty simplistic elements. The most striking is that one main character - a very powerful govt employee - seems downright naive. He is oblivious to the wealth and sophistication of an entire continent that his world government rules, and where one of his employees lives. Huh?

I picked this one up at random. PKD has many books. Which should I try next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home